Bioanalytical science is a sub-discipline of analytical chemistry, which is responsible for implementing technologies to help gather quantitative measurements from xenobiotics and biotics within biological systems.
In modern bioanalysis practices, many scientific endeavours are reliant upon precise quantitative measurements of endogenous substances and drugs within biological samples for the purpose of toxicokinetics, pharmacokinetics, exposure-response and bioequivalence. The practice of bioanalysis can also be applied to environmental issues, anti-doping testing in sports, unlawful drug use, and forensic investigations.
Many techniques exist that allow bioanalytical scientists to gather the information that they need from molecules. These include:
- Hyphenated techniques such as CE-MS (capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry) and GC-MS (gas chromatography-mass spectrometry)
- Ligand binding assays such as radioimmunoassay and dual polarisation interferometry
- Nuclear magnetic resonance
There are certain steps that you will need to take in order to gather the knowledge and experience needed to become a bioanalytical scientist:
- Bachelor's Degree - A bachelor's degree in a relevant field (such as chemistry or biology) will be extremely useful when you're looking to pursue a career in bioanalysis, as you will have undertaken modules that involve laboratory components, providing you essential laboratory research skills.
- Postgraduate Degree - A postgraduate degree in chemistry or biology is extremely advantageous and looks good to potential employers, but is not always necessary. A master's degree will provide you with further analytical and research skills.
- Work Experience - Many employers require at least 2 years of experience for bioanalytical jobs. Candidates with a master's degree may not need as much work experience as someone with just a bachelor's degree. Experience can often be gained through entry-level positions within research facilities.
Once you have accrued the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to pursue a full-time career in bioanalytical science, we at Hyper Recruitment Solutions can help you to find a suitable role. Bioanalytical recruitment is one of our specialities - we work with some of the best science firms in the country to help fill vital positions in a variety of different organisations.
Browse Our Bioanalytical Science Jobs >