Contract work has become increasingly popular in recent times for both businesses and workers within the science industry. This is due to a number of reasons, such as:
The choice to employ contract workers can bring wide-ranging benefits to science companies. These include cutting costs, increasing productivity, obtaining and utilising specialised skills, and enhancing flexibility within the workforce.
- Covering long-term leave
- Coping with periods of peak demand
- The rise of project-based work
However, it’s not just organisations that can benefit from the rise contract work - there are lots of advantages for the workers themselves, too.
Benefits of Contract Working
1. Ownership – Ownership of your work is one of the major psychological benefits that come with contract work. Instead of having ‘managers’ and ‘bosses’, individuals and companies that you work with can be seen as ‘clients’ and ‘customers’, and this can make a massive difference in how you feel regarding your freedom and independence whilst working.
2. Utilising your strengths and interests – One of the main benefits of working as a contractor is the ability to focus on the skills and areas of expertise that you possess - after all, these are the attributes that will get you hired. The science company that you work for will be focused on your unique personal abilities, which usually leads to greater recognition for your professional accomplishments.
3. Build experience quickly – Short-term contract work (where contractors move from role to role and company to company fairly quickly) will bulk up your CV very quickly, giving you a broad and varied array of working experiences. By working in different environments and varied roles, you become exposed to different duties and challenges, and this can be extremely valuable both for future employment and within your everyday life.
4. Variety – Related to the above, contract work allows you to experiment with different roles and experience a variety of positions, rather than being stuck in one permanent role. Working with different people, for different people, at different companies can be a massive benefit to contract workers, and as a bonus, they get to avoid the office politics that can occur within longer-term roles.
5. Higher pay – Though not always guaranteed, working as a contractor can bring the benefit of higher pay. Due to companies not having to pay for health care and other employee benefits when working with contractors, they are sometimes able to offer a higher wage instead.
6. Work for yourself – The last and perhaps the most rewarding element of contract work is the ability to say that you ‘work for yourself’. A number of contract jobs, especially within the science industry, allow the worker a certain amount of flexibility and freedom - for instance, the freedom to choose the contract length and/or location of work.
Contracting Through HRS
Hyper Recruitment Solutions is a company that stands by its candidates. We aim to provide a reliable and honest service that you can trust. When we help you to search for contract science jobs, you will enjoy a number of advantages, including:
- Choice – We work with an extensive portfolio of clients in STEM sectors, so you will not be limited when it comes to choosing your contract. Whether you would like to work with SMEs or big pharmaceutical companies, you are sure to find something that’s right for you.
- All the help you need – Your HRS consultant will make the process of choosing and obtaining the right jobs as easy as possible for you. By providing expertise and advice on roles, companies and industries, assisting with CV presentation and interview preparation, and giving follow-up support after a successful placement, our experienced consultants go above and beyond to ensure that you are fully supported.
- Expertise – As science industry experts, we possess an in-depth knowledge of each specialist sector, putting us in the best possible position to represent you.
- Timesheet portal – Once you have successfully found contract work, you and the company will gain access to our fully automated, easy-to-use online timesheet portal to make the whole process paper- and hassle-free.
To browse our latest contract science jobs, go to our Job Search page and select 'Contract / Temporary / Interim' under Contract Type. Alternatively, contact us now for expert guidance on seeking contract work in the science industry.
Browse All Science Jobs >