The regulatory and quality standards to which a company must conform vary significantly depending on what the company offers and where they operate. For this reason, a company's QA Director should ideally be a dedicated specialist in the relevant field.
For example, Quality Directors in the pharmaceutical / healthcare industry may need to be familiar with the following standards:
- GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice), GDP (Good Distribution Practice), GCP (Good Clinical Practice) and GLP (Good Laboratory Practice) standards in compliance with the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency)
- Regulations in the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industries
- ISO 13485 for Medical Devices
- WHO (World Health Organisation) regulations for medicinal products
- Relevant pharmaceutical / biotechnology industry regulations
Note that different territories have different governing bodies with their own unique sets of standards for medical products. For instance, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the relevant authority in the United States.
Quality Director Job Description
If you're applying for a job as a Quality Director, you can expect to see a job description that includes the following responsibilities:
- Establish the company's quality procedures and standards
- Oversee all aspects of quality control/quality assurance throughout the organisation
- Work with others to establish quality requirements for external suppliers
- Ensure that manufacturing/production processes meet national and international standards
- Reduce waste and improve efficiency over time
- Gather performance data and produce reports
- Review existing policies and plan improvements where necessary
- Collaborate with other managers and staff to provide training and other resources
Which Industries Employ Quality Directors?
Quality Directors can be found in a wide range of different sectors. Naturally, the precise duties of a Quality Director will vary from role to role, depending on the employer and field.
If you're on the hunt for your next role, we regularly recruit Quality Directors and other QA / QC personnel for the life sciences industry.
To browse the latest quality assurance vacancies and apply online, click the link below.
Quality Assurance Jobs