Would you like to know what a typical science research and development job looks like? Perhaps you've studied a core science like biology or physics, and now you're not quite sure what career to pursue. Research and development (R&D) is an important part of almost every scientific industry, so you can be confident that there are lots of R&D jobs on offer at any given time.
Within the science industry, research and development jobs look like this:
- Research involves exploring different materials, processes and phenomena. Someone who works in scientific research designs and conducts experiments, observes and analyses results, and draws conclusions from their findings.
- Development uses the knowledge gained from the research to implement new products, procedures and services.
R&D Job Description
For most scientific research and development jobs, you will need to have a good degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant subject and some good experience working in a laboratory. Alternatively, you might be able to begin your career in R&D as a technician, but it can be tricky to progress without a degree.
If you're currently working towards a scientific degree, you might be wondering how you can gain relevant laboratory experience in the meantime. Here are a few different ways you can gain lab experience:
- Do a placement in a laboratory in a foreign country. There are often placements in laboratories abroad, and being open to travelling broadens your options!
- Pursue a year in industry. Many universities offer this, and even if it isn't a typical part of your course, it's always worth asking. Most universities will try to accommodate you.
- Try to pick a final-year project which allows you to work in the laboratory. Being able to demonstrate a good understanding and interest in scientific research and development looks great to employers.
If you have completed your degree and you're ready to start pursuing an R&D job, we at Hyper Recruitment Solutions can offer you helpful career and interview advice. We also have a range of current job vacancies in research and development roles that you can browse and apply for!
Click the link below to browse the latest R&D jobs with Hyper Recruitment Solutions.
Browse & Apply for Research & Development Jobs >